Established in 1908, Saskatchewan Mutual Insurance Company (SMI) is a federally regulated property and casualty insurance company built on a foundation of integrity, commitment and superior service. With customers across Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba and annual direct written premiums over $83 million, SMI has been consistently ranked as one of Saskatchewan’s Top 100 Companies.
SMI is looking for a full-time, permanent Payroll & Benefits Administrator to join our team. Reporting to the Associate Vice President, Human Resources & Chief Compliance Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for accurate processing, maintaining and updating all payroll and benefits information and records while acting as a resource for employees on inquiries relating to compensation and benefits.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and process pay on a bi-weekly and year-end basis, including preparation of T4s;
- Pension, benefits and leave administration;
- Onboarding and maintaining employee files including payroll records, performance reviews, discipline measures and attendance;
- Handle employee inquiries regarding payroll and employer provided benefits;
- Plan and conduct employee presentations and information sessions pertaining to benefits and other relevant matters;
- Preparing Pension Plan Financial Statements;
- Research new legislation, benefit products and software applications as necessary;
- Support HR with tasks and project work as required;
- Performs other duties as required.
- A High School diploma combined with a company approved certificate or diploma in payroll and/or benefits;
- A minimum 5 years payroll experience;
- Knowledge of payroll processes and procedures, pensions, benefits, employment standards, taxation regulations, computer based attendance and payroll systems including online time entry systems;
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively and manage multiple tasks and deadlines despite interruption;
- Self-starter with strong interpersonal and problem solving skills;
- Solid skills in MS Office application;
- Ability to demonstrate high attention to detail, maintain confidentiality, and work effectively in a team environment.
This position offers a competitive salary, benefits package and professional growth opportunities.
If this opportunity is of interest to you, please submit a resume along with a cover letter highlighting your suitability for the position by January 20, 2020.
Saskatchewan Mutual Insurance Company (SMI) is a federally regulated property and casualty insurance company operating successfully in Saskatchewan, Alberta and Manitoba. As a mutual, the Company’s Policyholders have voting rights and annually have the opportunity to participate in the election of the Board of Directors that oversees and governs the organization. Earnings are retained to support future growth, to maintain a strong capital position and to help keep insurance rates low for its policyholders.
SMI’s value proposition is its commitment to outstanding service, its long-term relationships with broker partners and policyholders, the knowledge and experience of its team, its financial strength and sound reputation. The Company’s unique insight into the insurance challenges facing consumers in the prairies, the implementation of a fully-integrated web-based operating system and recent steps to enhance its business intelligence and pricing strategies also position the organization well for continued success. Striving for innovation, focusing on key initiatives and executing on those plans to achieve strategic goals is critically important.
SMI is seeking a new Associate Vice President, Business Intelligence (AVP, BI), who will be the champion of business intelligence in the organization and responsible for leading the development of business intelligence frameworks and tools, working with all departments to determine and meet reporting and analytics needs. The AVP, BI develops and maintains the Company’s data warehouse and provides ad hoc and standard management reports, for researching and implementing new tools for management information querying and reporting, and for educating business users in the use of software and the interpretation of business data. This position serves as a member of the senior management team and contributes to the development of corporate strategy and future planning.
As the ideal candidate, you will have a bachelor’s degree in information systems, statistics, mathematics, or a related field, complemented by more than seven years’ experience with an emphasis on business intelligence delivery, data modelling and data governance framework. You are a strategic thinker and an excellent communicator who collaborates and encourages the meaningful contribution of others both within and external to SMI. Basic knowledge of the insurance industry and an understanding underwriting profitability would be an asset. You have a credible presence and excellent project management skills with proven ability to handle multiple tasks in a rapidly changing environment.
To apply for this position, please submit your application and related materials to email@example.com and state the title of the position in the subject line of your email.
Interested in joining our team of professionals? Please submit all correspondence to:
279 3rd Avenue North
Saskatoon, SK S7K 2H8
We thank you for your interest in SMI; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.